Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Sunday, December 04, 2005

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

Our house is mostly decorated, and boy is it cute outside! I'm still working out the kinks of the wiring for the lights on the bushes, since I don't seem to have another outdoor extension cord, but I think I'm just going to use one of the "dead" strings of lights as my outdoor connector across the porch. The nasty part of today was feeling like I was poisoning everyone. The light strings, of course, are coated in lead as a softener for the vinyl, so I was washing my hands like as though obsessive-compulsive and it still didn't feel like enough. I need to change my clothes, since the lights were all up against those. And I've been hand-wiping and Swiffering the floors where the light strings were, which is basically everywhere. Rutledge got his hands on them a few times, which totally freaked me out. Hopefully I'll get it clean again and then we can relax some. I picked up a new HEPA filter for the vacuum tonight.

Well, yesterday was an interesting day. Ollie broke someone's arm at a wrestling tournament. It seems he shot when the match was already declared over, although I don't fully understand, but the match wasn't supposed to be over and the ref was not watching (no one was watching, actually). Ollie was really upset by it--I take it there was a lot of commotion about what happened, lots of paperwork to fill out, lots of trying to piece together the chain of events. Ollie won one of his matches, lost the injury match because he wrestled after time was called, but otherwise did really well. The regular season looks very promising for him. This tournament is a pretty big one--he wrestled kids from as far away as New York. I think seven or eight states were represented.

In the evening we made it to the Living Nativity, and the kids especially had a great time. We had a curry dish for dinner, which was yellow, which is scary for kids, so they didn't eat much, but they more than made up for it at the reception. And we were able to see live barnyard animals you could touch twice in one day. We did our regular trip to the tree farm to the petting zoo and to talk to Santa, but then we bought the tree at a nursery that had a better selection (this farm doesn't grow Fraser Firs, which is what we wanted; last year we tried a Scotch pine and it couldn't hold a lot of our ornaments because the brances were too flimsy). Today we spent most of the day fiddling with light strings and decorating the tree. The house is too messy to contemplate.




A small bit of progress was made on the green hat. I'll post a picture tomorrow. I have to admit, I'm afraid to get too far on it because that means I'll have to start using the dpns, and I'm still not completely confident there. I need a lesson, but I don't know who to ask here and now. I have 84 stitches when I'm supposed to only have 80, but I think I can deal with that. There are only a few visible flaws in the main body of the hat so far, and I cringe to think of wrecking it when I start decreasing, like I did last time.

Must go put Rut to bed. I made a stupid late night run to Wal-Mart to buy the filter, and I almost passed out from carrying him and getting overtired and overheated. He's googling away right now, smiling up at me. Having a babe in arms is pure bliss!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home